by Pastor Adekoya Akinbode
ABSENCE OF UNITY RESTRICTS AND LIMITS THE DIVINITY!
Acts: 2. 1. And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
The mystery behind the concept of the Trinity is unity! In other words, unity is the mystery that makes Three to be One, in the Godhead.
1 John: 5. 7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one
No wonder Jesus prayed in advance for unity in His body, though many members! Do you know why is it that, despite the longlist of firebrand men and women of God, and several vibrant churches we have all over the world the church as a body is still weakly?
Absence of unity is the greater undoing of the church on earth!
In fact, I know of a very popular church here in Nigeria where the members of one parish are in animosity against members of another parish, yet same church! They discourage new converts even old members from going to worship in another parish but theirs. Imagine that level of disunity even within the same church denomination! Whereas, the unity Jesus prayed for is not that which exists between the members of the same church, but that the believers from all over are at home, at peace and in love one with another, irrespective of church denomination or affiliation.
Ephesians: 1. 15. Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
Colossians: 1. 4. Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
That means, the Ephesians church and the Colossians church were not just in love one with another, but in love with all the saints. That is God’s expectation. That is what Jesus prayed for! Until unity is installed, the Divinity cannot function in us and through us as ordained.
Hatred for the saints in or from other denominations is one reason why many believers may never experience, or enjoy, or manifest the operations of the Holy Ghost. He is restricted in operations where there’s no unity!
Acts: 1. 14. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
It is worthy of note to see that the disciples returned to Jerusalem in obedience to Jesus’ command and were all in one accord even before the arrival of the promise of the Father the Holy Ghost. That means, unity in the body of Christ is not solely or essentially a product of the presence of the Holy Ghost neither does disunity denotes His absence. Yes, the disciples with others with them were in one accord before the arrival of the Holy Ghost and we see how they remained one, having all things in common. Yet, we can spell out some degree of “disunity” particularly when Paul came on scene with the revelation of the grace of God, but that does not mean that the Holy Ghost has left, as He remains with us till Jesus comes.
What then is the bedrock of unity in the body?
Ephesians: 4. 13. Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
What brought us together is the faith and that faith is powered by the knowledge of the Son of God. Until the knowledge of the Son of God becomes the foundation and the builder of whatever is called “faith” across various denominations, disunity remains inevitable as diverse conflicting doctrines continue to fly about. The disciples with those with them from after Jesus’ ascension were in one accord because, I believe, they all having witnessed the resurrection of Jesus as He has said, they believed same thing – unity of faith!
As long as a particular denomination is still exalting the laws of Moses; the fire of Elijah; the baptism of John as so on, above the finished work of Christ, we cannot attain to unity that Christ prayed for. Sadly, it is the leaders and members of a church where everything else is preached except the finished work of Christ that sponsor and promote disunity, always seeing and treating “grace people” as outcasts or candidates of hell!
1 Corinthians: 1. 10. Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
Philippians: 3. 16. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
Now, there’s a call to duty on us that have come to the knowledge of the Son of God (the bedrock of the faith that unites the body of Christ) and have received the Holy Ghost to prayerfully, practically, financially and otherwise ensure the radical spread of the gospel of Christ. Under the influence or anointing of the Holy Ghost, Peter, without prior preparations and without any note, preached in detail the message that is supposed to be heard from every altar. All about how the life, death and resurrection was in fulfilment of prophesy, all for our sakes. And all that is required to be saved is to believe and call upon the name of the Lord. No religious ambiguities!
The faster the true gospel spreads (the gospel that imparts the knowledge of the Son of God and exalts His finished work of eternal salvation made freely available by grace and obtainable only by faith) and it is prayerfully followed up to be received by all, the earlier we arrive at the unity of Faith. Should the Church as a body attains to this level, there’s no telling what the Holy Ghost can do with us and through us, beyond speaking diverse kinds of tongues!
THE LORD OF HARVEST IS HERE – THE HOLY GHOST!
One of the essential reasons for the release of the Holy Ghost is for the harvest of the overripe field – the world.
Luke: 10. 2. Therefore said he unto them, the harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
God cannot harvest anything in/of the world without the Holy Ghost: it is the presence of the Holy Ghost in a creature that certifies it has God’s. In other words, the presence of the Holy Ghost in anything or anyone is what affirms that one as God’s own possession on earth.
In fact, our catching away at rapture would be impossible without the Holy Ghost.
Jesus came to redeem all things back to God, with His own blood; the Holy Ghost is given as the Harvester, and as a seal on that which is of God. That is why, to be redeemed is not necessarily to be saved! For instance, Jesus died for the whole world and by implication redeemed all but all are not yet saved except and until the redeemed consciously accepts what Jesus has done and professes faith in it to receive the gift of salvation which is affirmed or sealed by the Holy Ghost.
Romans: 8. 9. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. _Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
13. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise, 14. Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
Now, beyond making us ready for the day of redemption of all things, the Holy Ghost is the Maker of harvesters and the Chief Harvester Himself!
The Holy Ghost is therefore the Lord of harvest, and of course, the Lord is that Spirit! The arrival of the Holy Ghost amongst others makes for the release of labourers into the harvest field. In other words, the Holy Ghost ensures the harvest of the world, through the preaching of gospel and makes “the harvested” become an harvester!
Those at the upper room were empowered as sent harvesters at the arrival of the Holy Ghost and those harvested made harvesters, as the Three thousand souls that were won into the kingdom in just a single day will return to their various cities with the Good news!
That can be substantiated in these verse below:
1. And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 14. But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 41. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. 42. And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Peter was (with all others with him) was empowered for utterance (which is what the cloven tongues as of fire that came on each of them speaks of, among any other symbolism) and in a moment, Three thousand souls harvest. The Good news continues with the fact they continued steadfastly in the Apostles doctrine, even as they went back to their various places.
Like, and unlike the encounter at Mount Sinai, the presence of God was announced with some naturally scary noises and voice, as somewhat at the arrival of the Holy Ghost.
16. And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. 17. And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount. 18. And Mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.
2. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Since the fall of man in the garden, it seems the only time God ever manifested here on earth without such an eventful and somewhat apocalyptic moment was when Jesus was born!
The entire Jews were gathered to meet with God:
Exodus: 19. 17. And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.
5. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galileans? 8. And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9. Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10. Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11. Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God. 12. And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, what meaneth this?
The Holy Ghost arrived Fifty days after the resurrection of Jesus (being crucified during the time of the Passover), and Ten days after His ascension. It was a time the Jews celebrate the festival of harvest. So, the Jews all over the world would gather for this august event. When they were coming that year, little did they know that God was ready begin His own harvest and that the celebration was going to switch from that of harvest yams to harvest of souls!
Now, unlike at Mount Sinai, the people couldn’t stand to hear God, having to stand afar of. But at Pentecost, the people came in their numbers to listen to the voice of the Holy Ghost through His chosen and purified vessel.
18. And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. 19. And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.the encounter at Sinai led to the death of Three thousand soul as they turned to another god (breaking the first commandment!) because Moses delayed. Whereas, the event at Pentecost led to the salvation of Three thousand souls even though Peter preached for so long!
1. And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.
28. And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.
40. And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, save yourselves from this untoward generation. 41. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
The era of the Holy Ghost is this era when God is inviting all mankind to come, to be saved and not to be killed. God is doing this through His vessels indwelled by His Spirit to reach out to many. It is worth noting again that they were in one accord when the Holy Ghost came. If you will put yourself together and be in harmony within yourself: spirit, soul and body, by allowing the word of God to rule over your entire being irrespective of any contrary outward situation, you are the next to be used mightily by God in reaching out to others. Remember, you are harvested by the Holy Ghost by faith in the gospel of Christ, the Holy Ghost now indwells you to make you a harvester. If it is ever possible for the body of Christ on earth to be one, and whenever that happens, all that are ordained for salvation worldwide shall be won to Christ in a twinkling of an eye! How and why? Where and when there is unity, the Divinity manifests full-force!